13 Oct 2012

Teaching resources: Las Sudacas


Today two five year olds in the playground in a Spanish primary school shocked me to the core.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Making poison out of acorns and colacao (chocolate milk) ", the two little angels replied.

"It's to kill the Sudacas" (South Americans) one added.

I stood rooted to the sand.

"But why do you want to kill them?"  I asked.

"Because they are bad", one cherub answered.

I called the music teacher over and repeated what I'd heard.

She asked them: “Chicos que hacéis?”

"Haciendo veneno", they said.

"Para quien?", she asked.

"Para matar las sudacas".

"Y quien son las sudacas?", she cleverly asked.  “And who are they?”

"Profe, ¿no sabes? Son unos pajarracos blancos y negros que matan a todos los pajaritos en el jardín; mi padre mató una". (Urracas or magpies).

“Don’t you know miss? They're those black and white birds that kill all the small birds in the garden..."

No comments:

Post a Comment